Why Each Square Has A Name
• it allows players to identify exact locations on a board
• it is part of the universal language of the game of chess
• it allows players to write (notate) moves, positions and entire games
• it enables players to learn and study from books, games played centuries ago or that have just been played!
• the star is on the square named e6, the smiley face on d2 and the heart is on b8.
There is no ‘luck’ in chess. It is a game of knowledge and the application of knowledge determines the outcome of the game!